Everyone is looking for something to do on these lazy summer days, right? How about dedicating a day, weekend, or even one day a week to a local injustice fighting organization? It just makes sense that the closer a place is to where we live, the better the chance that real relationships will happen.
Lately everything I study, read, learn, and do reiterates that this kingdom life is all about relationships--God's relationship with us, our relationship with Him, and our relationships with each other. The more we get to know someone, the more we love them, the more time we spend with them, the more we share our faith with them, the more likely we are to forgive them if they mess up, and the more likely we are to keep fighting for them.
So, if you live in my neck of the woods, check out these great local organizations. See if one of them might be a place for you and your family to build some new friendships and share God's love.
The Firehouse Shelter, a shelter for homeless men, located in downtown Birmingham has the following volunteer opportunities:
- Overnight Hosts
- Bible Study Leader
- Prepare & Serve Meals
- Maintenance Work
- Yard Work
- Transportation Driver
- Clerical Assistance
- 12 Step Speakers
- GED/Literacy Tutors
To volunteer, please:
- Call Anita at 205-252-9571
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Firehouse also keeps a "wishlist" of needed items, equipment, food and services on their website if you would like to help with some physical needs.
Founded in 2004 by Dr. Brenda Lovelady Spahn, The Lovelady Center in Birmingham offers life-changing programs, such as medical services, counseling services, addiction counseling services, life-skills training, parenting classes, job training, job placement, childcare, nutrition, housing, and post-secondary education for women who have been in prision, with the goal of providing the tools necessary to overcome barriers to success.
There are many ways to be involved with the good being accomplished at the Lovelady Center.
- Prayer Warriors - The Lovelady Center needs your intercessory prayer to continue making a difference in God's Kingdom. This is our greatest volunteer need, for groups to come in and pray for The Lovelady Center.
- Room Makeovers - Help make a difference by upgrading and decorating a room at The Lovelady Center. E-mail Melissa Chrietzberg at email@example.com
- Lovelady Mentor- If you are a woman looking to help others grow in their relationship with Christ, come in and walk alongside a Lovelady as a Lovelady Mentor. Please contact the Development Department for information at (205) 836-3121 or email our Mentor Program Coordinator, Tracie Faulk, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Church Services and Devotionals Morning Devotional and Church Service Leaders, as well as Teachers, Tutors, and Biblical Counselors are needed daily. Please contact the Development Department for information at (205) 833-1064 or email Melissa Chrietzberg at email@example.com
Grace House is located in Fairfield, Alabama, and has been helping girls who have been "abandoned, abused and neglected find love, warmth and safety" for the past 20 years!
Currently, Grace House has a full time house parent position available.
They also have the following volunteer opportunities available:
- Office Assistance
- Special Events
- Landscaping/Yard Work
- Help with school supplies, uniforms, etc.
Whatever you can imagine, they can most likely find a place for you!