This week due to a pile of books from paperbackswap.com
and the Operation Christmas Child leader pack, it was a good mail week for me!
Since 1993, Operation Christmas Child, a project of Samaritan's Purse, has received shoe boxes filled with simple items such as school supplies, little toys, hygiene items and fun goodies from people just like you and delivered them to children all around the world. These simple gifts are a way of sharing the love of Christ with so many.
I know it seems early to be talking about Christmas, but in reality, it's just not that far away. In fact, shoe box collection week is November 12-19!
For as long as I can remember, packing shoe boxes has been a Christmas tradition at our house. If you would like to be involved this year, here are a few tips to get you started.
1. Take a look at the gifts suggestions and shoebox no-nos.
2. Browse those "Back to School" aisles at Walmart and Target. This time of year, there are numerous deals on crayons, markers, erasers, notepads, pens, glue sticks, and so many other little things that fit perfectly in a shoe box.
3. Don't forget to make a trip to the Dollar Tree. They often have name brand soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, hairbrushes, combs, and washcloths for a buck!
4. Check the dollar spot at Target for fun toys like Slinky's and yo-yos. And, look for these signs in the toy department.
Last year I found My Pretty Pony toys, small packs of Legos, Playdough, and the Littlest Pet Shoppe toys all for more than half off!
5. Print out the boy or girl shoe box label.
6. Wrap your shoe box, label it, fill it up, write a note to the child who will receive your box, remember to fill out the donation form, and add $7.00 to help aid with shipping. Then, during the week of November 12-19 drop it off at a Samaritan's Purse drop location near you!
I am already looking forward to November 11, when our church, The Church at Shelby Crossings, will have our Shoe Box Sunday!
If you have some shoe box tips to share, I'd love to hear them! Please share them in the comment section!