Monday, January 23, 2012

Amazima

This blog post was my first introduction to Katie Davis. As I read this post, all I could do was sit at my computer weeping what is known around our house as the "ugly cry." Several times I tried, unsuccessfully, to read it aloud to Todd. Finally, I just got up and gave him the chair.

While not quite the ugly cry, his reaction was similar to mine. Later that night I sat and read post after post from this young girl's blog and before long Katie became one of my heroes of the faith.


Please take a look at Amazima-(uh-mahz-i-muh) the non profit organization that Katie, now the adoptive mother of thirteen children, founded in 2007 at the age of 19.

Here are the ways you can be involved...

*Over 575 children are sponsored through Amazima. Sponsorships provide the following:
• Education at a Christian school
• School supplies
• School uniform
• 3 meals a day
• Medical care
• Christian discipleship
• Spiritual growth activities for their families and/or guardians
 

*You can purchase a Ugandan necklace. The purpose of these necklace are two fold. First, the proceeds from these necklaces go to feed orphans in the community of Masese. The second purpose is to aid Ugandan woman in Amazima's vocational training program. Each woman in the program is paid a fair wage and given tools to better her future.  These necklaces make lovely gifts!

* Support the Masese community feeding program where over 1,600 orphaned and vulnerable children receive healthy meals from Monday through Friday.
 

*Tell your friends about Amazima by following them on Facebook and Twitter or subscribe to Katie's blog and share it with others. Help Amazima be a voice for the people and children of Uganda.
 

* Please pray for the Ugandan people. 


I'll end with this quote from Katie which says it all, ""People tell me I am brave. People tell me I am strong. People tell me good job. Well here is the truth of it. I am really not that brave, I am not really that strong, and I am not doing anything spectacular. I am just doing what God called me to do as a follower of Him. Feed His sheep, do unto the least of His people."

No comments:

Post a Comment